Tuesday, April 8, 2008

No we haven't left yet...

Mostly I'd like to create a habit in myself of adding something here every few weeks, and creating something for the people we expect to be very interested (moms, dads, grandparents) in our journeys. And this is something they can read after we've been gone for a while.

At this point, we are well into our selling off stage. We've told most of our friends about the last ten years or so of our lives being up for sale and they have obliged by buying it for cheap. Can I make jokes like that? But I was staggered by the response for my Transformers toys. I can't sell a perfectly good couch for much, but people come out of the woodwork to offer money for old action figures. So thank you to all the grandparents who inadvertently helped fund our PC trip!

So that's been entertaining in a ride-the-Whip sorta way, where you come out and you're not sure if the wobbly, spinning sensation means you had fun or not, but I'll take it as fun. It's got a sense of novelty to it. Trying to get rid of nearly everything we own. And trying to guess what we'll need, what we'll want, what we should buy here, what we should plan to buy there is also amusing to a pack-happy person like me. Marie and I are still trying to figure out if Netflix will do an international plan.

If you don't get that (Gran) apologies, but I think there will be a few inside jokes here. I'll try not to get too obscure, but I don't want to read like a bad movie script that has the nemesis explain who he is every time he's on screen just so the people who came in late know who he is. There will be bad writing, but jokes and references for family and friends, I think, are kinda important and makes people feel more connected, even if a few people don't understand everything.

Our friends have been great, offering space to store things and homes for plants and money for cheap Ikea furniture. I'm getting a little worried about getting rid of our cars for a decent price but in time. But one way or another it'll work out. I'm as interested as anyone to see how we pull it off.

And as we plan for our month of vacation, to see family and friends around the country one last time, it's hard not to shake my head and laugh at the irony. Neil will be visiting our grandparents in Montana and Wyoming just a few days ahead of Marie and I getting there. But he has a new job with the State department and has to be back in D.C. by the 10th, and we can't get there before the 7th. So instead of spending time there and driving back to Nebraska together, we'll be just a few days behind him. I think Marie calls that coincidence, but then we'll fly to the east coast to see grandparents, and my mom will be there the week after, when her school gets out.

And while none of this may be pertinent, I'm wondering what people will find interesting or assuring after Marie and I've been in Armenia for three months, or six, or a year.

No comments: